Helahel

The Salaf, the Stomach and Food

Sharik Ul Islam Created Nov 21, 2021 14:30
0 Comments

Yūsuf bin Asbāṭ (رحمه الله) said: “Hunger softens the heart” Mawsūʿat Ibn Abī Dunyā (4/95)

Aʿmash (رحمه الله) said: “Have you seen this stomach? If you demean it, it will honour you, and if you honour it, it will demean you.” Mawsūʿat Ibn Abī Dunyā (4/95)

Mālik bin Dīnār (رحمه الله) said: “Whoever masters his stomach, will master all the righteous actions.” Mawsūʿat Ibn Abī Dunyā (4/96).

Hussain bin ʿAbd al-Raḥmān (رحمه الله) said: “Plentiful food makes the heart die, just as plentiful water makes plants die.” Mawsūʿat Ibn Abī Dunyā (4/96).

ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz bin Abī Rawād (رحمه الله) said: “It used to be said: ‘Little food aids in hastiness towards good deeds’.” Mawsūʿat Ibn Abī Dunyā (4/97).

ʿAmr bin Qays (رحمه الله) said: “Beware of gluttony for it hardens the heart.” Jāmiʿ al-ʿUlūm wal-Hikam (p. 553).

Al-Shāfiʿī (رحمه الله) said: “I have not eaten to my fill in over sixteen years except once, whereupon I used my hands to induce vomiting. This is because satiation (eating to the fill) burdens the body, hardens the heart, puts an end to intelligence, brings about sleep and weakens from worship.” Al-Siyar (Tahdhīb, 1/848).

This topic has 0 comments

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.