Helahel

Ideas on how to filter out scammers and fake profiles

Ideas on how to filter out scammers and fake profiles

Farid Created May 13, 2020 09:33
6 Comments

There are tons of posts about how there are lots of scammers and fake profiles on this site. Since this site (and others like it) requires only an email address to sign up, it's no wonder there are lots of fake profiles since it's super easy to create multiple email accounts. So what are your ideas on how to make it more difficult for a scammer to create an account?

For example, sms verification. Scammers can still create a fake phone number, but it might at least reduce the number of fake profiles. A site's admin should also be more proactive in removing fake profiles, but what more can be done from a programming/registration standpoint?

This topic has 12 comments

No Photo

Deleted User

May 13, 2020 15:27

Great post, brother. I agree with sms verification. Facebook/LinkedIn verication could be used aswell.

No Photo

Deleted User

May 13, 2020 16:42

convince us by visiting helahel office hehe u r right..but how about me who have only one profile (helahel) and im not going to create fb or linkedln

Farid

May 14, 2020 09:03

Social media is a good option, but you still would have to account for people (like Lauri) who don't use it.

No Photo

Deleted User

May 14, 2020 15:01

Then SMS will be the way to go for you, @Lauri!

No Photo

Deleted User

May 14, 2020 15:41

Virtual phone numbers and disposable phones can receive SMS, so this would not stop scammers.

The best way to stop a scammer from signing up is to require an interview with an admin. However, this is very time consuming and not practical for a free matchmaking site.

If we keep posting ideas of how to spot scammers, it teaches the scammers how to deceive us more effectively. Save your complaints for the admin, who has the ability to track all activities of each user.

Therefore, all we can do is report suspected scammers to the admin by selecting the "Block" button and describing why you think that the profile is fake. The admin can then look into all of the person's activities on the site and determine if their behavior is scammy or not. If the activities break the rules, the admin will delete the account. It's a slower process, but effective, and it keeps the scammers from knowing what they did wrong.

May we all have sincere experiences on this site!

No Photo

Deleted User

May 14, 2020 17:11

I don't know. I don't think that any of these work. Even the location they can forgery it, there are ways to do nowadays.
I think we have to put our own rules to deal with it .

No Photo

Deleted User

Oct 19, 2020 04:35

Asalama aleeykum to all brothers and sister I do understand the fake profile bit and why every one hates it, but what I do not understand is the scammer think. lets us really be clear if I ask a person to send me money to proof that they love me or say i promise to double their investment.

Fair enough I am the scammer but how about the person that invested so they can make profit or thought it was ok to buy my heart.

You wont be scammed unless you are a scammer

ALIWISEMIND ke

Sep 26, 2021 13:31

@Deleted user, I agree, the only solution is to actively report them so as their accounts are deleted and blocked from creating another account. But,....how many mails can I have? Block this I use another.
Phone verification, block this, I use another
Social media accounts, block this, I use others

So, the only solution is to teach each other about scamming. If we're all aware that scamming exist and the main goal is getting easy money from us, we be taught on how to spot them and deny sending them money because they're scams! So, its all about education. Also, don't be fooled easily like send me 1000, there is sth, and then you'll get a job, more money. Don't look for shortcuts, be contented with the little you have. You can lose everything

Issue of building relationship. Don't invest financially in a relationship before marriage. Because;
1. Its a toxic relationship. You're tying yourself. What if it fails, will thetly refund you? You'll be forced to just agree because of your investment. Please, collaborate but don't open joint accounts
2. What if they change their mind or its a scam? Don't punish yourself using your own hands. Please, do not.

Knowledge, yes, they'll know but their techniques are all the same. Once they invent a new way, just like medics who learn about new diseases and pathogens, lets also keep learning new ways that they come up with

Issue of fake accounts! Very painful because of emotional connection esp for our sis. Very uncomfortable to serious brothers because its a waste of time. I suggest we try our level best to scan our mate before we go very far so as we know them early enough.
May Allah protect all of us

ALIWISEMIND ke

Sep 26, 2021 13:57

Alternatively, let the admins antroduce one new thing, account verification. You open account as usual but then, its optional, but, you can request account verification. You send them money like the most minimum like Ksh. 1. And then, then note your details like ID number, name and other very personal information, if you trust the sight, that is.
Once you're verified, a tick second your name so as we can identify you. This would make sure that every verified person has only one account, once blocked, forever blocked, you can't easily change your ID details, I think

But this can be very uncomfortable to some but if really trust this sight, then, well

ALIWISEMIND ke

Sep 26, 2021 13:59

Wah, that spelling of "site,", 🙌

ALIWISEMIND ke

Sep 26, 2021 14:02

I also suggest that the admins should hide accounts once a person hasn't logged in for 3months. Hiding doesn't affect them much. They just need to deactifate them. This would be more convenient to some users

ALIWISEMIND ke

Sep 26, 2021 14:07

*reactivate
In the future, God willing, if I make a mistake that you can easily be correct it, I mean, it doesn't affect the meaning, inshaallah, I won't correct myself. I see no need of filling this site with so many "useless" messages in the name of correction

Personally, my brain operates faster. You may have noted that I do, often, omit some words like not thinking that I have written them. Some texts are long and I don't see its necessary to reread to check for spellings, grammatical errors or word ommissions. I may reread after sending

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.