Helahel

Old World Methods Of Getting Married

Old World Methods Of Getting Married

Amir Created Jan 29, 2020 16:29
5 Comments

1. Bride kidnapping - For men with nothing of value to offer to girl's father for bride dowry, bride kidnapping from distant villages was the only other option to marry. This practice existed from the Caucassaus to east Turkestan (now in China) to mountainous regions of Pakistan.

2. Exchange - Since wife was seen as more useful than a sister, men would simply exchange a sister for bride.

This topic has 5 comments

No Photo

Annabelle

Jan 29, 2020 19:01

Thats untrue.

Amir

Jan 29, 2020 19:48

All true.

Bride kidnapping is still practiced in Krygyzistan. It was a custom in mountainous regions because mountains offered extra protection for the hostile act as mountain passes were closed for at least half a year. In Yerevan (Armenia), I saw an old black and white movie on TV. It was in Armenian instead of Russian so I didn't understand it so I asked my Armenian friend, and he said, it was about the old custom of bride kidnapping.

Of there were marriages among cousins but they were directly or indirectly based on the principle of exchange - give and take.

Standards of beauty have changed considerably due to tele to Western looks. In mid 1800s a German got the privilege to photograph the harem of a king (I won't say who). All women were fat, had uni-brows and mostaches.

"It's untrue", is what Marco Polo was accused of on his death bed, and concluded, I saw what I saw.

No Photo

Annabelle

Jan 29, 2020 20:37

You misunderstood. I meant in my experience, not all men just want to log on and expect to get married, and some men do understand the dynamics. πŸ™‚ Sorry, i didn't use many words. Whoops. πŸ˜€ Are you getting msgs from men that just want to expect to marry straight away. πŸ˜„ Just jokes.

No Photo

Annabelle

Jan 29, 2020 23:12

I wasn't reffering to your history story. πŸ™‚

Demir

Jan 30, 2020 01:14

Amir,
what is your place of origin if you don't mind me asking?

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.