Helahel

Is Posting Online Marriage Profile Like Applying for a Job?

Is Posting Online Marriage Profile Like Applying for a Job?

amicable2 Created May 10, 2019 20:18
3 Comments

Hello folks, while going through the process of finding my soulmate, I have started to find more similarities between partner-search and looking for a job! In both cases, your resume/profile and initial letter are the only thing standing between a dream life and rejection. Here’s how we can be better at one or may be both:

1. Your profile is your resume: Be specific

Who are you, really? You have to be careful here to not over or under do it. Tell me too much about your quirks and I will think you’re weird. Too little and I won’t care enough to contact you. As you should on your resume, leave out looked over buzzwords and get down to the data. Sure you are a genuine guy who values honesty…I’ve heard that one before. What makes you special?

My Advice: Make very apparent the three or four things that you are passionate about so you can attract someone who actually has the same interests. Don’t just say you like to workout. Say you run 25 miles a week. Don’t say you like music. Say you like a specific band especially if this means a lot to you.

2. But don’t be too specific

If your profile runs on for five mouse scrolls, has typos or is rambling, you’ll lose me. Anything about your ex will turn me off, period. Same as if you got fired from your last job, you wouldn’t put that on your resume.

My Advice: If you are going to get specific, focus on something you know well. On your resume, this would be your most recent job. Maybe you increased sales by 45%. If you grill the best steak in the universe, throw it out there but be prepared to back it up. Steak enthusiasts will apply and smell a lie if you’ve never turned on a grill.

3. Your first message / email is your cover letter

Boilerplate emails that go something like: I really liked your profile and would love to get to know you better or I am applying for the job you posted as are immediately deleted, unless you’re Brad Pitt. And even if you are, we’ll think you’re lying. The people I respond to comment on one or two things in my profile and connect it with something that they do.

My Advice: Don’t contact people you don’t think you could be a match to you. Same a you wouldn’t apply to a job as an executive chef with no experience in a kitchen. A marathon runner will rarely date a couch potato.

4. Don’t be over-frank

This isn’t the ’50s. If you want to drop a quick line, do so, but follow the rules of mannerism. Be courteous and respectful of others' feelings and cultural differences while approaching.

My Advice: You wouldn’t be too formal or too comfortable with a hiring manager. Manners go a long way. Be polite and respectful.

5. Don’t get discouraged

Yes you are going to get rejected most of the time when job searching or looking for someone you can stand to be around for more than 5 minutes.

My Advice: The best piece of advice is to look for something you want, something you are qualified for and to focus your energy on that. Once that letter is out, let fate take over. Then move on. There are plenty of fish in the sea waiting to match their chemistry with you in perfect harmony.

Good luck!

This topic has 6 comments

Amir

May 11, 2019 01:10

Except on your relationship CV or resume, do exclude the previous experiences.

zayrzaber

May 11, 2019 07:14

Your advises are very healthy and usefull for lots of applicants on site................appreciated

No Photo

Deleted User

May 11, 2019 07:31

@Br. Amir, LOL 😁

No Photo

Deleted User

May 11, 2019 11:42

Read the thread and the profile behind it 🤔

OpenHeart

May 12, 2019 07:51

Well done! I appreciate that you included the “follow the rules of mannerism. Be courteous and respectful of others' feelings and cultural differences while approaching.”

I think there’s a very small percentage of men/women who follow the rules of mannerism or even know that such a rule exist. This reminds me of the golden rule "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." It’s a principle for living, directed more appropriately at helping us being the kind of people who can enjoy the kind of relationships that we want. The Golden Rule can transform us. It makes us better people by alerting our conscience when we try to deceive ourselves with a double standard and keeps us honest and respectful in how we treat others. It has a positive influence on relationships because at least one side works hard to make it a good one. And it has the potential to influence other people positively - people lower their defenses when they see that we have their best at heart. It’s actually about how we behave with others. This is because WHAT WE DO REVEALS WHAT WE ARE INSIDE. WE RECOGNIZE A TREE BY ITS FRUIT. At heart, I believe it is about our own character and the kind of people that we are, and the kind of people that we are becoming. The good news is that we always have a choice Alhamdulillah. By choosing to follow this good principle, we create habits, which become strengths, which become part of our character – who we are. So go and “Be unto others as you would have them be unto you.”

The result of sending an uncaring, disrespectful, unthoughtful, and inconsiderate FIRST MESSAGE will most likely be ignored and unread, no response or the sender will end up being blocked. Here are some EXAMPLES of IMPOLITE FIRST MESSAGES: Hey!, hey babe, darling, sweetheart, hey beautiful (without a picture on profile), ask for your full name, location and job, think they have the right to criticize what they read on one’s profile or use the words "demand" "expect" to speak to you by providing their phone number. Simply rude!!! PLEASE put more thought on your first messages. Remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression. First impressions are lasting impressions.

No Photo

Deleted User

May 12, 2019 09:08

I don't think so...if the woman think is job am.looking for as marriage let her stay her father house for ever.is mearnt to be simple and when you meet she ask what she wanted...many ladies here are gold diggers.our muslim.ladies now nothing to write of.only 5% genuine.

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.