Shirk and " good luck"

Shirk and " good luck"

hijra Created Feb 19, 2018 08:32

Salam alaykom wr wb sisters,

This reminder is first for me and all sisters who will read this.
The reminder benefits the muslim believer.
Hadith related from Aisha (Allah be well pleased with her) by al-Hakim al-Tirmidhi that the Prophet said: "Shirk (polytheism) is more hidden in my Umma than the creeping of a black ant across a black stone on a dark night whithout moon light ".

Wishing " good luck" to someone is against Tawhid. Our destiny was written only by Allah azawajel long time ago before creation. "Luck" is a wrong concept. If something happen to you, it's not related to bad luck/good luck but only on Allah's will.

Sourate 21 eya 35: "Every soul will taste death. We burden you with adversity and prosperity—a test. And to Us you will be returned. "

This expression " good luck" is not a muslim one. Even if we don't have the niya to commit shirk, using it is not making Allah happy of us ; and furthermore, it's not in the Sunnah.
If someone want to wish positive things to someone else, we have bunch of islamic expression like Allah maak ect..
Why are we triing to imitate westerners ??

We say la-ilaha il-Allah....but actions must follow words.

This topic has 19 comments

Feb 19, 2018 09:08

Sourate 21 eya 35: "Every soul will taste death. We burden you with adversity and prosperity—a test. And to Us you will be returned. "

Feb 19, 2018 16:35

Yes that is most certainly true sister and thank you for your kind words and reminder. However, as you well know, Allah swt judges people from their intentions and we must focus on this point carefully. I say this because in some parts of the world and in society in general the phrase "good luck" is used as a kind gesture rather than a literal statement. Let me explain, if a muslim brother or sister says to another "good luck" just before they participate in a sports match then don't condemn that brother or sister and give them a lecture because they do not mean it in the context of shirk. Attacking them and lecturing them in such an case would most certainly discourage people from islam and portray a wrong image of islam.

Likewise, if someone saw an amazing painting that you did and says that you're "creative" does not in any way imply that you are the creator. We all know, without any doubt, that Allah swt is the one and only creator of the universes and everything it contains.

It's important to talk about luck in comparison to destiny in order to educate our brothers, sisters and children but lets not be harsh when we know it is a matter of context or figure of speech. Islam is such a beautiful, accommodating, understanding, forgiving and flexible way of life. This is what we want others to see, islam instills good behaviour and excellent character in people and this aspect of our deen is profoundly attractive and inspiring.

Feb 19, 2018 16:37

Sorry for the typing errors in the above post - unfortunately this site does not provide an edit feature.

No Photo

Deleted User

Feb 20, 2018 03:51

Maa Shaa Allaah. Thank you for our post, its new to me . So, what is the proper preferred substitute expression?

On the other hand, Id like to draw everyone's attention at something bigger than this, yet practised worlwide by Muslims. I myself am in the process of learning Islam deeply & continuously, despite the fact I was born Muslim, but sadly there are many aspects of Islam Im unfamiliar with. And its like 40 years of my age, what?? Subhanallaah.

Ive always thought that shirk was openly or discreetly worshipping "other" than Alllah. Well, it turned out that loving our spouses too much is a subtle form of shirk, here referring to that emotional state being waaay much . Simple statements of "Id do all for you, my love", "you're my everything", "I cant live without you", and those yada yada words would unknowingly fall into a shirk category. Phewh!

I was like, wow..really? But again, after pondering sometime I truly believe its true and sound. Only Allah deserves the ultimate love, not humans, no matter what. But the question is, how to smartly express our feelings to spouses without committing shirk? Hm, is that a personal puzzle or a Muslim society concern?

A penny for your thought, guys!

Feb 20, 2018 04:52

Salam alaykom sister Sumayya,

You are welcome .
i was myself using that expression, but with the help of Allah azawajel, I banished it from my vocabulary.
You can replace it by "Allah maak" for example ( = May Allah be with you).

This is a du'a that our prophet Mohamed sws, Ibrahim, Nouh were using frequently to protect themself from shirk:

" Allahoma inni a 'oudhou bika annouchrika bika chai-an n'aalamouhou wa nastaghr-firouka lima la naalamouhou "

With this du'a , Allah azawajel help His slave to avoid and remove shirk from his/her life.

Wallahi, since I started reading this du'a regularly , I improved my worship , ELMD.

No Photo

Deleted User

Feb 20, 2018 06:24

Yes Maa Sha Allah, thanks a lot for pointing out that duaa. It reminds me to refresh my memory of that duaa, alhamdulillaah.

Feb 20, 2018 07:57

What even?

No one denies taqdeer when they say good luck. It is just a cordial statement made to express love for some entity whilst wishing the best for them in their future or any embarkment

"Id do all for you, my love", "you're my everything", "I cant live without you'', the person to whom it is being told and the one who is saying it would most of the time know what limitations those words carry. Please, don't start labeling such silly things as shirk. If you are gonna do it anyway back it up with a fatwa of a renowned scholar or an islamic institute.

No wonder why Salafi sect has so many radicals.

No Photo

Deleted User

Feb 20, 2018 14:15

Mujtabakhan Saab,

Thank you for chiming in. Im not a scholar or a student of sharia law, nevertheless here's a few points to consider. I regret you used "radicals" associated with Salafi. Subhanallah. May Allaah have mercy on us all. Hope the following article helps.

Major shirk can be divided into four categories:

- The first category of major shirk is “associating in supplication”, which involves directing one’s supplications to other than Allah as a means of gaining provisions or being cured from a sickness or obtaining help during a crisis or for any other purpose.

- The second category of major shirk is “association in the intention”, that is, performing deeds that may be good in themselves but which are done for the sake of this worldly life and not for the sake of Allah.

- The third category of major shirk is “association in loving Allah”. That is to love someone or something else more than or as much as one loves Allah.

- The fourth category of major shirk is “association in obedience” which is to obey people when they make unlawful things lawful, and to believe that it is permissible to follow those who make such legislations.
Here we discuss the third category.

The third category of major shirk is “association in loving Allah”. That is to love someone or something else more than or as much as one loves Allah. Allah says: “There are men who take others besides Allah as equal with Him. They love them as much as they should love Allah. But the believers have more love for Allah.” [Al-Baqara:165]
{وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَتَّخِذُ مِن دُونِ اللَّـهِ أَندَادًا يُحِبُّونَهُمْ كَحُبِّ اللَّـهِ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَشَدُّ حُبًّا لِّلَّـهِ}
Transliteration: Wamina alnnasi man yattakhithu min dooni Allahi andadan yuhibboonahum kahubbi Allahi waallatheena amanoo ashaddu hubban lillahi

There are people who recognize Allah as the Creator, the Owner and the Sustainer of the universe, and yet love others more than Him. Some people love money more than they love Allah and for this reason, they do not pay zakat or they gain their money from unlawful sources. They are the slaves of Dirhams and Dinars, or in today’s terminology, the slaves of Dollars. The Prophet, sallallahu alaihi wa sallam, said: «He who became the slave of the Dinar or the Dirham will perish and be destroyed...» [Reported by Bukhari]
«تعس عبد الدينار»

Some people love their desires more than they love Allah. Consequently, they would follow their desires even when they lead to disobeying Allah: “Do you see the one who is taking as his lord his own desires?” [Al-Furqaan: 43]
{أَرَأَيْتَ مَنِ اتَّخَذَ إِلَـٰهَهُ هَوَاهُ}
Transliteration: Araayta mani ittakhatha ilahahu hawahu

Therefore, loving Allah and His Messenger more than anything is a precondition for tasting the sweetness of faith. It has been narrated in an authentic hadith that the Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam, said: «There are three qualities whosoever has them will taste the sweetness of Iman: loving Allah and His Messenger above all else, loving someone solely for the sake of Allah, and hating to return to disbelief after Allah has rescued him from it, as much as he would hate being thrown into Hellfire.» [Reported by Bukhari]
«ثلاث من كن فيه وجد حلاوة الإيمان: أن يكون الله ورسوله أحب إليه مما سواهما، وأن يحب المرء لا يحبه إلا لله، وأن يكره أن يعود في الكفر كما يكره أن يقذف في النار »

Allah has put two criteria to test whether one’s love for Him is more than the love of anything else. The first is the following of the Sunnah of the Prophet, sallallahu alaihi wa sallam. Allah says: “Say (Muhammad), if you do love Allah, follow me, Allah will love you (in return) and forgive your sins” [Al-i-Imraan:31]
{قُلْ إِن كُنتُمْ تُحِبُّونَ اللَّـهَ فَاتَّبِعُونِي يُحْبِبْكُمُ اللَّـهُ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ}
Transliteration: Qul in kuntum tuhibboona Allaha faittabiAAoonee yuhbibkumu Allahu wayaghfir lakum thunoobakum

Thus, following the Sunnah in all aspects of our lives is absolutely essential. The second criterion to know if one’s love of Allah is more than anything else is through jihad for the sake of Allah: “Say: If it be that your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives or your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline or the houses in which you delight, are dearer to you than Allah or His Messenger, or the jihad for Allah’s sake; then wait until Allah brings about his decision; and Allah does not guide the rebellious,” [Al-Tawba: 24]
{قُلْ إِن كَانَ آبَاؤُكُمْ وَأَبْنَاؤُكُمْ وَإِخْوَانُكُمْ وَأَزْوَاجُكُمْ وَعَشِيرَتُكُمْ وَأَمْوَالٌ اقْتَرَفْتُمُوهَا وَتِجَارَةٌ تَخْشَوْنَ كَسَادَهَا وَمَسَاكِنُ تَرْضَوْنَهَا أَحَبَّ إِلَيْكُم مِّنَ اللَّـهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَجِهَادٍ فِي سَبِيلِهِ فَتَرَبَّصُوا حَتَّىٰ يَأْتِيَ اللَّـهُ بِأَمْرِهِ وَاللَّـهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْفَاسِقِينَ}
Transliteration: Qul in kana abaokum waabnaokum waikhwanukum waazwajukum waAAasheeratukum waamwalun iqtaraftumooha watijaratun takhshawna kasadaha wamasakinu tardawnaha ahabba ilaykum mina Allahi warasoolihi wajihadin fee sabeelihi fatarabbasoo hatta yatiya Allahu biamrihi waAllahu la yahdee alqawma alfasiqeena

Source: The Friday Report Issue 4, Rajab 1416

Feb 20, 2018 17:20

That "saab" was very courteous, sister in Islam. Appreciate it much. You know, I've dropped out of madarssa (Islamic Institute) twice so I'm divested on giving any authoritative opinions on Islam.

But I do know from my mentors/Shaykhs, that the claims made here regarding those certain expressive statements to be shirk is absolutely ridiculous! Sorry for being blunt, there is no other way to put this without sounding abrasive.

And a person should should also be very careful when quoting ayahs of Quraan, it shouldn't be done to meet a persons connate opinions. The article you have copy-pasted above mentions about the types of shirk but doesn't refutes people who say "Id do all for you, my love", "you're my everything", "I cant live without you'', and gives evidences from Quraan and Sunaah on that being shirk. Complete distortion. My apologies!

But let's end this here, absolutely unconventional to discuss these issues on a matrimonial forum.

To them their own, innit?

Let's make a dua together so there's beef b/w us, alright? As you consider those petty phrases to be shirk, may you never find such a husband who would say all of that to you and ultimately commit shirk. Ameen. I expect you to say Ameen too.

And may I find a spouse ASAP to whom I could say, "Id do all for you, my love", "you're my everything", "I cant live without you'', (wait! this is for kids! I'm a legend so I'd be more poetic and say things which would make my spouse feel she is a rarity) EVERY OTHER HOUR. I'd write those sentences in a gothic script on a fancy cardboard frame and nail it everywhere, kitchen, living room and lavatory. Insha'Allah! May Allah SWT bless me with someone who is worthy of this. Ameen. You too say ameen, respected sister.

To them there own. I hope you aren't agitated by the dua I made for you and quite amused with the dua I requested from you. As salaamu ailekum!

Feb 20, 2018 17:26

excuse my typos please

Feb 20, 2018 22:30

Sister Sumayya,

jazakAllah khairan for your intervention which is very clear

No Photo

Deleted User

Feb 21, 2018 03:32

Wa iyyaki Ukhtee!

Khan Saab

Feb 22, 2018 03:14

MasyaAllah for sister hijra & sumayya & brother mohamed & mujtabakhan

I'm here and learning this new thing : from both point of view

also masyaAllah for your English beautifully written.

No Photo

Deleted User

Feb 22, 2018 04:20

Ahlan Rose .

Feb 23, 2018 06:59

May Allah increase your knowledge sister Mawar and for all muslims too. Amine

No Photo

Deleted User

Mar 9, 2018 00:05

Praise be to Allah

“Luck” (hazz) means a share of goodness (or good fortune). al-Azhari (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Al-Layth said: “Luck” means a share of blessings or goodness.

End quote from Tahdheeb al-Lughah (3/273)

Ibn Faaris (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“Luck” means a share of good fortune… One who has a share of provision may be described as lucky.

End quote from Majmal al-Lughah (p. 215).

This is the basic meaning: luck refers to a share of good fortune. The word may also be used to refer to fortune in general, whether it is good or bad. This is how it is used by most people.

Al-Fayroozabaadi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“Luck” refers to one’s share or fortune; or it may be used specifically to refer to one’s share of good fortune.

End quote from al-Qaamoos al-Muheet (p. 695)

Al-Minnaawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“Luck” is one’s decreed share.

End quote from at-Tawqeef (p. 142)

Based on that, when people say “good luck” and the like, as a kind of supplication for the person to whom it is said, and wishing him well, there is nothing wrong with that, as is obvious; in fact it is praiseworthy because it is a kind of supplication for good and wishing the Muslims well.

But one should not wish or pray for bad luck for a Muslim, because this involves transgression and enmity towards one’s brother in faith.

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh (2735) from Abu Hurayrah, from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) that he said: “A person will still be answered so long as his supplication does not involve sin or severing ties of kinship, and so long as he does not become impatient.” It was said: O Messenger of Allah, what does being impatient mean? He said: “Saying, I offered supplication, and I offered supplication, and I did not receive any response, then he becomes frustrated and stops offering supplication.”

Al-Bukhaari (13) and Muslim (45) narrated from Anas ibn Maalik that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “No one of you truly believes until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself.”

If the one who says “good luck” is saying it by way of telling something that happened, so if something good happens to him he says that it was good luck, and if something bad happens to him, he says that it was bad luck, in this case too there does not seem to be anything wrong with it, in sha Allah. In the case of something good happening, then the matter is clear, and it comes under the heading of speaking of the blessings of Allah and thanking Him for what He decreed for him. In the case of something bad happening, then what appears to be the case is that there is also nothing wrong with it, if he is telling of something that actually happened as it appears to be, to the best of the person’s knowledge. It is well-known that things may happen to a person in his life that upset him, and this is bad luck, according to what people customarily think and say; in fact it is something that is also said in the shar ‘i texts. Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)): I possess no power of benefit or hurt to myself except as Allah wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghayb (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me”

[al-A‘raaf 7:188]

“Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations. Is there any ilaah (god) with Allah? Little is that you remember!”

[an-Naml 27:62].

This is also what is meant by hasanah (good, good fortune) and sayyi’ah (evil, bad fortune), which is referred to in verses such as the following (interpretation of the meaning):

“And if some good reaches them, they say, ‘This is from Allah,’ but if some evil befalls them, they say, ‘This is from you (O Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him)).’ Say: ‘All things are from Allah,’ so what is wrong with these people that they fail to understand any word?”

[an-Nisa’ 4:78]

“And We tried them with good (blessings) and evil (calamities) in order that they might turn (to Allah’s Obedience)”

[al-A‘raaf 7:168].

And there are many similar, well known verses.

But in that case it is stipulated that there should be nothing in his words that reflects discontent with what Allah has willed and decreed for him, or thinking negatively of Allah, or attributing the evil or bad fortune to Him, may He be glorified. Bad things, evil and harm are a reality in Allah’s creation and are something that He has decreed will reach His slave according to what is decreed for that person. As for Allah’s will and decree concerning His slaves, it is all good and nothing evil or bad can be attributed to Him, for Allah is exalted and far above all faults and shortcomings.

For more information, please see the answers to questions no. 105099 and 130685.

Some people may say “good luck” or “bad luck”, thinking that some such thing has happened outside of the decree of Allah, may He be exalted, or because he thinks that it is connected to some things that have nothing to do with events that happen, such as attributing that to the stars, or some numbers, or some days of the week, and the like.

So if someone says that some person’s good luck or bad luck is due to such a reason, then what he says is wrong and is haraam, because coincidence with such things, or otherwise, is not something that Allah has made to be the cause of good or evil.

Something similar was indicated in a fatwa of the Standing Committee, when they were asked:

We often hear that a person has good luck or bad luck (or he is lucky or unlucky). To what extent is it permissible – or not – to believe in luck?

They replied:

We are required to believe in the will and decree of Allah, so we should be patient in bearing misfortune and we should give thanks to Allah and praise Him for good fortune. We should believe that Allah has divided provision among His slaves, and has decreed that their life spans and deeds should vary, when they were still foetuses in their mothers’ wombs. Allah is most wise in all that He wills and decrees, and every Muslim must attribute what befalls people of blessings and abundant provision to Allah, may He be glorified, Who bestows that and enables people to attain it; and he should attribute anything else that befalls him to the will and decree of Allah. This comes under the heading of attaining sound belief in Tawheed ar-Ruboobiyyah (Oneness of divine Lordship). The Muslim must keep away from anything that may undermine his belief and Tawheed, so he should not attribute good and blessings, or calamities and disasters, to luck or stars, for that is not permissible. And Allah is the source of strength. May Allah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions. End quote.

Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abdullah Aal ash-Shaykh, Shaykh ‘Abdullah ibn Ghadyaan, Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan, Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd

End quote from Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa’imah (26/328)

The Muslim should always think positively of Allah, may He be exalted, concerning whatever befalls him in all his affairs. He may think that he has bad luck in something that may be entirely good for him. So it is better to avoid the phrase “bad luck” in all circumstances. Allah, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know”

[al-Baqarah 2:216].

In Saheeh Muslim (2999) it is narrated that Suhayb (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “How wonderful is the situation of the believer, for all his affairs are good. If something good happens to him, he gives thanks for it and that is good for him; if something bad happens to him, he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.”

And Allah knows best.

Islam Q&A

No Photo

Deleted User

Mar 9, 2018 12:00

I just wanted to leave Islam Q and A's response. I personally believe one shouldn't say "good luck".

Mar 10, 2018 09:29

Masha Allah. Very clear explanation from deleted user. Thank you.

I like to follow this forum. Hopefully with Islamic topics on this forum can provide knowledge about Islam well for brothers and sisters here.

And Alhamdulillah there are many brother and sister here with good Islamic knowledge. Please share your knowledge to others.

No Photo

Mar 20, 2018 16:58

حَدَّثَنَا أَنَسُ بْنُ مَالِكٍ، قَالَ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ قَالَ اللَّهُ يَا ابْنَ آدَمَ إِنَّكَ مَا دَعَوْتَنِي وَرَجَوْتَنِي غَفَرْتُ لَكَ عَلَى مَا كَانَ فِيكَ وَلاَ أُبَالِي يَا ابْنَ آدَمَ لَوْ بَلَغَتْ ذُنُوبُكَ عَنَانَ السَّمَاءِ ثُمَّ اسْتَغْفَرْتَنِي غَفَرْتُ لَكَ وَلاَ أُبَالِي يَا ابْنَ آدَمَ إِنَّكَ لَوْ أَتَيْتَنِي بِقُرَابِ الأَرْضِ خَطَايَا ثُمَّ لَقِيتَنِي لاَ تُشْرِكُ بِي شَيْئًا لأَتَيْتُكَ بِقُرَابِهَا مَغْفِرَةً ‏"‏ ‏.‏

قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ غَرِيبٌ لاَ نَعْرِفُهُ إِلاَّ مِنْ هَذَا الْوَجْهِ ‏.

sayyaduna Anas bin Malik radhiAllahu anhu narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, interpretation of the meaning: “Allah, Blessed is He and Most High, said: ‘O son of Adam!

Verily as long as you called upon Me and hoped in Me, I forgave you, despite whatever may have occurred from you, and I did not mind. O son of Adam! Were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky, then you sought forgiveness from Me, I would forgive you, and I would not mind. So son of Adam! If you came to me with sins nearly as great as the earth, and then you met Me not associating anything with Me, I would come to you with forgiveness nearly as great as it.’”‏

(Reference: sunan tirmidhi, hadith number: 3540, silsilatu sahiha, 127, 128; ar-rawd an-nadheer: 432, the narration of sunan tirmidhi is hasan (good), according to darussalam version. Muhadith Shaykh Albaani rahimahullah mentionedit in al-mishkaat, number: 4336, And Shaykh Muhadith Zubair didn't even mentioned it in his anwar as-sahifa meaning in his views it is good or authentic.)

This hadith actually specify the graveness and severity shirk is, and specify the importance of tawbah (forgiveness) is for any one and everyone; even if one was indulged into shirk but he did ask for tawbah then Allah is most forgiving. And if he did ask forgiveness with sincerity from Allah before he/she had died (must be in his life time), Allah even will forgive his sin of shirk.

May Allah save us from all kinds of shirk and kufr and hypocrisy and deeds which does not benefit us in this dunya and in day of judgment, ameen.

Leave comment...

You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in or register.