So much has been thought, said and done regarding the topic at hand. Nobody argues that it wasn't allowed or commanded by Allah (SWT). Nobody claims ignorance of the fact that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and his companions (MABPWT) practised it. However, it is not meant for everybody. If you sense weaknesses in yourself towards it, then, smartly dodge it without belying it. If you are confident about it, genuinely pursue it. Seek Allah's assistance and you are done. You may do yourself a favour by studying the life of the Prophet (PBUH), his companions (MABPWT) and the pious predecessors (MAHMOT).
I think the major factors bedevilling polygamous homes are as follows :
(1) the husband : lack of knowledge, justice, boldness, sincerity and maturity.
(2) the co-wives : lack of knowledge, awareness, Islamic faith, smartness and selflessness.
(3) insincere relatives : lack of knowledge, fear of Allah, mutual human understanding, fore-sight and love of peace.
(4) hypocritical friends : envy/jealosy, insincerity, ignorance, immaturity and lack of faith.
(5) ill-trained children : lack of discipline, obedience, respect, knowledge and positive orientation.
I believe if these 5 x 5 attitudinal flaws are effectively handled, peace and happiness will reign in polygamous houses.
I am a product of a polygamous home that is more peaceful and United than some poorly-organised and unjustly-run monogamous houses. So, I rely on Allah and I don't fear anything.
I just felt I should share this view with brothers and sisters to reduce the negativity flying in the air. I am aware that many of us are more versed and familiar with the topic than myself. So, this is nothing but breaking the ice, to allow fellows to contribute.